This Article Will Get You to Finally Start Working On Your Music Even If You’re Married With Kids
BY PIOTR SIERZPUTOWSKI
- Have you always wanted to release your own music but never had time to really commit to it?
- Did you get buried in family and job duties and now you think it’s too late for you to make your dream come true?
- Do you feel overwhelmed by all the things that would need to be done in order to make it happen?
Many people, who dream about releasing their own music, often don’t start working on it because:
- They just don’t have the time right now, there are other important things than working on your passion like… I don’t know… working a job, watching your kids, etc.
- It takes too much time to do it,
- (This is the worst one) – I’m too old to learn all of the things I need. It’s just too late.
I understand all of these reasons perfectly. I’ve been there myself and I’ve met a lot of people having the same excuses (let’s call it what it is) for not doing what they love. Here’s the thing: If you don’t make a decision to move your own happiness up in your priority list, no one else will do it for you. If you don’t make a decision to finally get started no matter what, you may end up in situation #3… but for real, when it’s not an excuse anymore, but a fact.
Let’s talk for a while about each of the reasons I mentioned:
1. ALL OF THE “OTHER THINGS” YOU MUST DO
I understand that you need to make money to provide living for your family. It’s obvious. I also have to do it. I understand that you want to watch your kids and spend time with your wife. I also want to do it… but who said that you can’t do these things AND also work on your passion? No one. It is completely possible whatever your situation is.
I won’t get too deep into HOW to do this right now – you need to figure it out by yourself, because it depends on your situation. Instead, I will give you 2 strong reasons why it is worth to figure it out (i.e. to make an effort and find the time for your passion):
- If you don’t change your thinking and just keep telling yourself that now is not a good time, you will always come up with a reason not to do it. You know when it’s the right time? Never. If you don’t do something with it, the time will never come. You need to initiate the process. No one else will do it for you.
- Working on your passion is actually GOOD FOR YOUR FAMILY – especially kids. Why? Because they can watch you being productive and having fun working on something that is creative, something that require long-term effort and commitment. Guess what they learn from you this way?
2. “IT TAKES TOO MUCH TIME…”
It’s true that it takes a long time to write your own music, learn how to play it well, record it, release it etc… but it doesn’t mean that you need to spend long hours every day working on that project. You can if you like (I would like it J), but if you don’t have time or you struggle to motivate yourself to finally get going – 60, 30 or even 20 minutes a day is good enough. It’s better than 0 in any case… and as you will get going, you will find ways to allocate more time into this project and to motivate yourself to work more (because it is fun!).
Let me ask you something. What is better – to start something but fail completing it due to external factors that you don’t have control over… or never to start anything and regretting not even trying? I’ll leave you with that question and tell one more simple thing – if you don’t know what to do in order to create, record and release an album, find someone who knows – a music teacher for example… and ask him for help! Easy? Yes, it is! 🙂
3. I’M TOO OLD FOR THIS…
This is the most dangerous one which I already wrote about that can get real. It’s true that if you’re 90 years old having problems with your health – then it might be too late for you to start with this kind of project. It MIGHT be, because there certainly are people this age who do these kind of things… However, they usually started back when they were younger. If they didn’t they would probably end up telling themselves that it’s too late.
Harland Sanders, the founder of KFC restaurants network, was 40 years old when he started to sell fried chicken. My grandmother was 60 years old when she totally changed profession and started a new career (very successful by the way). Do you think that if those people could commit to such big goals and followed through and achieved them, can you write couple of songs, record them and release them? They don’t have to be perfect. You don’t need to be in a hurry… You just need to do your best. Can you? Is it possible for you? I’m sure it is.
I’m sure about one more thing: If you love music and you always dreamt of releasing something on your own, when the time comes that you will not be in the same health anymore, you will deeply regret that you didn’t do anything with your dream when you were still in shape. This one reason alone is worth busting your AT** and finding the way to make your dream come true. Even if it’s hard. Even if it takes time. The struggle is worth it. You will know, when you’ll hold a CD with your own music in your hand.
About the author:
Piotr is a professional guitar player, composer and music instructor in Ostrołęka, Poland. Until now, he has released 5 CDs with original music on his own… and more music is on its way to see the world.